LEEDS WW1 WAR MEMORIALS
LEEDS BOYS MODERN SCHOOL
The Leeds Boys Modern War Memorial remember's the 134 boys who attended the school and gave their lives during World War One. The memorial can be found today at the site of the old Lawnswood School in Leeds. The Men and boys were also remembered in the Leeds Boys Modern Remembrance Book published around 1922. The book was a special to the Owlett which was the Monthly Magazine of the school. Much of the details and pictures found in this section come from that booklet, the Owlett magazine and local papers from the time.
SANDRA MIDGLEY PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING DETAILS: In 1845,The Mechanics’ Institute of Leeds (a philanthropic organisation) founded an independent boys grammar school called The Mathematical and Commercial School. Nine years later they also founded a school for girls at a separate location. In 1889 the boys moved to new premises and their school was renamed Leeds Boys Modern School. The premises they had were too small and in 1931 Leeds Boys Modern became part of Lawnswood High School. In 1944 after the state education act the school became a state grammar school.