LEEDS WW1 WAR MEMORIALS
Leeds Grammar School War Memorial
Photo Courtesy of Philip Middleton
The memorial was dedicated in 1928 and remembered 128 boys who gave their lives in the Great War. However two more were identified in 2015. The list and details of those boys remembered on the memorial were researched by John Davis and Neil Hargreaves.
Click here to see details of those remembered on Leeds Grammar School World War One Roll of Honour
Please Scroll down to read a history of War Memorial
Leeds Grammar Schools is one of the oldest schools in the city of Leeds being formed around 1552. During World War One the Grammar School could be found on Woodhouse Moor. Most of the students immediately joined the Rifle Club formed in 1909 to ensure the boys learned drill and rifle shooting. This also extended to the Officer Training Corps. This was similar to that seen at Leeds Boys Modern School.
In February 1918 J R Wynn Edwards placed an appeal for parents and ex school members to attend a meeting to discuss the most appropriate memorial to those members of the school that had fallen so far in the war. The meeting took place on the 2nd February in the Philosophical Hall at the school. Amongst those in attendance were Copson Peake the Chairman of Governors, the Bishop of Beverley, The Vicar of Leeds, the Lord Mayor of Leeds and F. M Lupton (Distant relative of our future Queen Kate Middleton) who was to lose three sons in the war.
It was explained that 718 boys from the school had enlisted and that 255 had been awarded commissions. 91 had lost their lives, 100 had been wounded and that 8 were currently prisoners of war. A resolution was passed that no more than £5000.00 be spent and that the memorial should be a hall with the names alongside the walls.
By December 1919 the school had raised £3,650.00 and the money was invested in War Bonds at Becketts Bank Park Lane (now a Weatherspoon's pub) An old boys dinner was held at the end of December 1919 to raise further funds.
During the 1920s events were held in the city to raise funds including The Royal Naval Film "The Empires Shield" shown at the Albert Hall in Leeds.
Click here to watch Empires Shield Courtesy of the Imperial War Museum Website.
In 1925 the War Memorial Committee decided that a new school memorial hall could not be built due to the large cost involved. and that circulars had been issued to decide what form the memorial should take. At this time new halls were being built including a swimming baths. The committee took the decision that the memorial should be in the entrance hall to the baths.
On the 21st May 1928 the memorial was dedicated by Lord Lascelles and remembered 126 boys from the school.