LEEDS WW1 WAR MEMORIALS
St Michaels Buslingthorpe was built in 1852 on Buslingthorpe Lane off Meanwood Road in Woodhouse Carr. The church was demolished in the early 1960's and the War Memorial was moved to St Marks Church in Woodhouse. The excellent Leodis website has a photograph of the memorial around the 1920's it is taken around the time of Remembrance day as there are still fresh flowers on the memorial Click Here to view (Acknowledgements and thanks to the Leodis website) (St Michaels courtesy of Lost Churches)
The memorial was dedicated and unveiled by the Bishop of Durham and Lieutenant Colonel Bousfield at 15.00 hrs on Saturday 6th October 1923. The British legion Club Band were in attendance and tea was served at St Michaels School on Meanwood Road at 17.30 Hrs at a cost of one shilling.
The memorial cost £800.00 at the time of the unveiling £300.00 had been raised the remainder was being collected from the 2,000 houses in the parish with £12.00 was being collected weekly.
Leeds Mercury 8th October 1923.
LEEDS WAR MEMORIAL AT BUSLINGTHORPE
Great Crowds Attend the Unveiling.
"I unveil this Memorial erected to the Glory of God and in grateful memory of the men of Buslingthorpe who gaves their lives for King and Country and a Righteous Cause. May this Memorial ever be honoured and maintained in hallowed remembrance.”
With these words Lieut.-Colonel Bousfield unveiled, on Saturday, the Buslingthorpe (St. Michael’s) Parish War Memorial. The memorial, which has been erected at a cost of £8OO, takes the form of a new Baptistry, which has been added to the West end of the nave of the existing church. Externally, the full beauty of the memorial can be seen. Three large tablets of Hopton Wood stone have been inscribed with the names of the 250 men from the parish who fell in the Great War, the whole being surmounted with dedicatory inscription, cross, and wreath.
Click on the names below to find details of the ... Leeds men from the the parish of St Michaels Buslingthorpe who gave their lives in World War One.